Answered By: Rebecca Sedam
Last Updated: Apr 29, 2020     Views: 42

The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) is an excellent source for word history research.  You can select it from the A-Z Database List. Other dictionaries typically focus on present day meanings of words. In contrast, the OED is a historical dictionary with information about WHEN words entered the English language. The OED will provide you with information about "obfuscate" both as a verb and as an adjective. The search results will also include a link to a thesaurus.

To identify additional sources, you can do a subject searches in the Oakton Library Catalog for

  • English language etymology dictionaries

If you need additional help, stop by the reference desk on either campus or call one of the phone numbers below to speak to a reference librarian.

847-635-1644 (DP)
847-635-1474 (Skokie/RHC)

Related Topics