Answered By: Rebecca Sedam Last Updated: Nov 18, 2016 Views: 40
To get you started on your research, I am going to recommend two Oakton Library databases: CQ Researcher and Opposing Viewpoints. In CQ Researcher, each "issue examines a single "hot" topic with comments from experts, lawmakers and citizens on all sides of every issue. Includes charts, graphs and sidebar articles -- plus a pro-con feature, a chronology, lengthy bibliographies and a list of contacts." Opposing View Points is a database covering "contemporary social issues with content structured to promote critical-thinking skills." It has "reference book titles, more than 8,700 pro and con viewpoint articles, and a variety of periodicals, podcasts, reviewed Web links, images, statistical tables, charts, and graphs."
- Connect to http://www.oakton.edu/
- Select "Library" from the green horizontal menu bar
- Select "Articles" from the left side of the screen
- Select the category "Any Subject"
- The list of databases that appears next includes both CQ Researcher and Opposing Viewpoints.
- Select either CQ Researcher or Opposing Viewpoints. If off-campus, you will be prompted for your OCC i.d. & password (same username and password that you use for the myOakton system)
When searching CQ Researcher, try search terms such as assisted suicide, right to die, & euthanasia. In Opposing Viewpoints, you can either use the "browse issues" feature to examine the topic assisted suicide or you can perform a search for the term euthanasia.
One of the reasons Oakton librarians ask for the name/course number of questioners' courses is to make sure we are matching student needs with the resources best suited for their research projects. If you find that you need further assistance, please contact us with some additional information about your assignment (due date, length, number & types of sources required by the instructor) and your course.
- DPC Reference 847-635-1644
- RHC Reference 847-635-1474
- or just reply to the AskLibrary message you received in response to your original question.
Chat is on break! We will return January 22.